Monday, September 13, 2010

SO YOU'RE FROM AUSTRALIA?


I love England already.
 Perhaps a little premature I know (I’m yet to experience to bone chilling cold yet of course) but I can’t help it. Maybe its just the whole aura of the ‘new’ but everything just seems so different and exciting. Despite what I have been told the people are generally very friendly, although sometimes I’ve had to repeat myself because they’ve given me that ‘ive got no fckin idea what you just said’ look.
Which of course is humorous in itself so I don’t mind.
Had grand plans for exploring the next few days but grossly underestimated the power of the silent killer jetlag who insists on making the floor feel like its moving under you every 2 minutes.
Therefore, the next few days only made it touristing (im making that a new verb) for a couple of hours before having to give in to a nana nap at the ripe hour of 1 in the afternoon.
In my defense – that’s when I would be going to bed if I was in Australia, damn time difference!

Moved into the Manchester YHA on Saturday, nice little hostel with a nice little cheap pricetag (which is good for me cause im living off less than $100 a day till I can get my bank account up and running – which apparently is a mammoth feat in itself, something to look forward to!)
Not many people here which didn’t give a loner traveller like myself much confidence until I heard the perhaps not so faint words of an Australian accent coming from the Games room. And that’s how I came to meet Nathan, Brock and Craig – three Aussie blokes from Sydney.
They (thankfully) took me under their wing, the loner Sarah from Adelaide traveller as I was, and that nite we hit up the Manchester Walkabout (a chain of Aus pubs). After lots too many double vodka and redbulls later (three pounds!!!), and having wasted WAY too much money on the stupid Deal or No Deal machine (don’t laugh its addictive) we stumbled home at 5am.
Well when I say stumble I mean the boys did because I was complaining that my feet hurt so much that Nathan piggybacked me all the way back to the hostel.
It appears even good old Australian chivalry can survive the long plan flight over!
The one thing I did want to do in Manchester was see the Man United Soccer (sorry I mean ‘Football’) stadium so we caught the tram to Old Trafford and took in the sights.
Unfortunately the tour was super expensive so we saw the sights that you can see from outside the stadium.
Which isn’t a whole lot.
But at least I can say I’ve been there!
Leaving for Hometown Leeds tomorrow on the train – the guy at reception told me they leave fairly often but if not there is one of the millions of English Starbucks at the station.
Best news id heard all day.
So now to leave you here is my three words of wisdom:

Is it worth switching from a 67 pound a night hotel that lost your original reservation to a 18 pound a night one with cool people, despite not having a tv in the room? (not tht it matters cause UK tv sucks….)
DEFINITELY

Will I need to limit my Starbucks spending in order to make sure I have enough money for somewhere to stay?
MAYBE

Will I be admitting that I’m a quarter kiwi to anymore Australians that I meet, which on the first occasion has prompted MUCH teasing and sheep jokes.
PROBABLY NOT!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment