Thursday, September 16, 2010

LEEDS - LIKE ADELAIDE.....BUT BETTER


Location: St Marks Residence
Weather: Sunny, rainy, windy and then sunny….
Starbucks Caramel Frappucino’s Consumed: 1 (although I totally got Louise hooked on them too so I feel like I’ve done a good deed for the lovers of Caramel Frappucino’s everywhere)

So here I am finally arrived in Leeds!
What can I say about the city?
Well when they said it was a student city by no means were the English joking – they bred them like wildfire in Yorkshire! They are EVERYWHERE and a big part of the British freshers haven’t even arrived yet (not till next week) so I am curiously looking forward to seeing just how this town will cope with an influx of hormones crazed teenagers.

The University is really nice – not quite the ‘old but nice old’ look of Adelaide University (although I can’t help but defend my home turf) but a lot bigger than the Adelaide campus. Next to the University and across the road is Leeds Metropolitan University, ‘the fake one’ here in Leeds. Hmm….that sounds familiar…. University of South Australia super tafe anyone…….

There are a couple of the University’s accommodation facilities on campus.
And when I say on campus I mean on campus.
Imagine a whole street of Notting Hill esque Hugh Grant English apartments in the MIDDLE of the University. If you were studying Psychology the building is literally 15 steps away.
Now that’s convenience!

Also been perusing around the city, which despite being smaller than Adelaide is WAY better looking.
Imagine Rundle Mall on steroids and you’ll be halfway to how much better Leeds City Centre is.
The buildings are lovely and old but also paired with HUGE glass covered arcade mall things which house all the expensive shops that poor students like me can’t afford to go into anyway. But at least it looks pretty.

Just a note on the grocery shopping here.
It is almost a joke how RIDICULOUSLY cheap food is over here.
Yesterday I bought:
1 loaf of bread
2 Apples
2 Bananas
Laundry Detergent
Carrots
TOTAL: 3 pounds 15
For those of you who aren’t used to converting in their head like me that is about $5 Australian.
MENTAL!!!!

Also, moved into St Marks yesterday. Very similar to First Year Ann’s rooms except we are in little flats with 4 other people where we share a kitchen and bathroom. I’m in with Alice from Brisbane, Sebastian from Germany, Erica from China and Mr Dude who hasn’t arrived yet (well we’re hoping it’s a guy anyway for Sebastian’s sake!) They are all lovely so there was immense relief on my behalf with that!
There wont be any British people living where I am because you can only stay here for a Semester so its mainly for exchange students but I’m not too phased, hopefully ill have plenty of opportunity to meet some through Uni or other events!

Went to a real English pub with Louise for tea last nite. Again it was RIDICULOUSLY cheap and Louise ordered a pint of cider that was the size of my head, keeping in mind I have a big head of course J , for 2 pounds 15 pence.
Me and England are going to be good friends.

Oh before I go to a quick note on my 21st which is next Saturday (will of course be expecting lots of present people!). I ducked into the Walkabout in Leeds to see if they are showing the AFL Grand Final next Saturday and luckily they are! So while you’re all asleep ill be lining up when they open the doors at 4am to watch the footy in my Crows Guernsey (I’m bringing it out Max!).
Gonna be epic!

Well gotta go meet Louise for more English frivolities, we’re heading to Karaoke Night for the International Students.
Lord help us all.

Am I now disgusted at how much we pay for our groceries in Aus?
DEFINITELY

Is half of Australia in Leeds at the moment? (It seems that way!)
MAYBE

Will we have one proper nice day in Leeds?
PROBABLY NOT! (geez id be asking for a miracle!)

X

No comments:

Post a Comment