Thursday, November 11, 2010

SMALL THINGS THAT AMUSE BIG MINDS WHEN THEY’RE NOT THINKING ABOUT BIG THINGS


Cultural adjustment is a tedious thing. Yes, England and Australia are both Westernized societies and are firmly set in their Western ways. However, there are many small, some would deem insignificant, things about life her in the Motherland which are irksome, tiresome and just generally piss me off.

A list of such things is as follows:

Computer keyboards.
I must admit, I did not originally think this would be a problem I would need to contend with on a daily basis. But after discovering now that I do indeed have a severe problem with them it has been constantly bugging me. Firstly, a few of the keys are in the wrong spot. The @ sign is underneath the apostrophe (now that’s just plain weird). And I spent a good five minutes looking like a complete retard searching the keyboard for the comma. I’m guessing though that the English lack of grammar could be attributed to other people’s inability to also find the comma key…
Secondly, NO ONE uses the number pad at the end of the keyboard. I think this very odd. I hate the numbers on a laptop because they are in one line and my fingers aren’t long enough. However, on a computer keyboard it is all located nicely for you in one little square. But every time I go to use it, some dickhead has turned the ‘Num lock’ off and I end up printing no numbers and making a right mess of whatever I’m trying to work on. I swear I used the same computer in one day and someone had TURNED IT OFF… I don’t understand why that is even necessary! I mean I know that a little light comes on when you do it, but surely they are not THAT much conscious of their electricity consumption. LEAVE NUMBERS LOCK ON PEOPLE!

Sugar.
Here in England the coffee shops are run much like Australian coffee shops. Except on the whole, with exceptions of course, the coffee in England is largely terrible. So in my attempt to make it palatable I look to the little condiments booth in most coffee shops for my sugar. And there we have white sugar, brown sugar and sweetener: all of which are unacceptable. A large proportion of Australian coffee selling establishments provide RAW sugar for people’s hot beverages. I am a big raw sugar fan. A) because it takes better and B) because its like brown sugar, but far superior, and you don’t feel so bad putting it in your drink because its not obese producing white sugar. Well England have apparently not been hit on the head by the Raw Sugar fairy and have Brown Sugar instead. Brown Sugar should be put on top of an apple crumble and NOT in my skim latte.
Not happy.

Slow Walking People.
Anyone who calls themselves my friend knows that the one thing I hate more than anything in the entire world is people who walk slowly in front of you. If I’m walking somewhere, most of the time it will be because I need to get somewhere and there is nothing I hate more than people that prevent you from doing so. Yes, they might have carefree lives where they have all the time in the world to meander down the road but I do not and would kindly prefer for them to get out of the bloody way.
I do not intend to be racist when I say this, because there are a lot of other people who commit this crime regularly. But I will have to deem the English as one of the worst offenders I have ever seen.  Most of the time I believe it to be students who are either trying to put off their inevitable arrival to a lecture, or are still trying to figure out how to put one foot in front of the other after a big night out.  You would think that a country like England, which has weather as a bad as it does, the general population would not hesitate in their trips between warmly heated buildings. Get a move on people! This Australian is not happy!

So there it is, another rant to fill in the abyss that is another rainy afternoon. Of course there are also many good things about England, some that I even prefer to our Australian way of doing things.
But those are so nice. And boring.
Nobody wants to read about that right?

Will the English Winter be the death of me?
DEFINITELY (no seriously it could be, it is so cold!)

Should the English adopt some of the Australian ways?
MAYBE

Will I miss having to pay 10p per page for printing at the University when we get over $30 FREE PRINTING CREDIT in Adelaide?
PROBABLY NOT!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment